My first impressions (less than 24 hours) coming from an iPhone 6S Plus and Nexus 6P before that. These are just my Notes (yes I meant to do that) written so far for an upcoming video / review so I apologize if it looks messy.
- Design is incredible. Hard to believe that this has a larger screen that the Plus and is physically smaller and lighter
- Always on Display seemed gimicky at first but it makes great desk clock and I already find it useful
- Fingerprint scanner is as fast as the iPhone’s but I like the Nexus 6P’s execution better
- Touch Wiz has been a pretty smooth experience. If you hate the cartoony looking icons, just go to the theme store and download a theme. I am using Material, which was free.
- I was a little squeamish in shutting off iMessage at first, but there are only two people I really iMessage anyway. Everyone else has WhatsApp, Facebook, and Hangouts. I got over it in 30 minutes.
- Bloatware on the T-Mobile variant isn’t so bad, but it still sucks. At least you can easily disable it
- I use both OSX and Windows with Chrome as my main browser. Chrome does an excellent job in integrating the experience (continuity) between your phone and Mac/PC. I have a bunch of tabs open in Chrome on my Mac, and then when I need to take a dump or something, I can just continue off what I’m reading on my phone
- Notification light: It changes everything.
- Performance was slow at the beginning after installing a bunch of apps, but once that was done, everything now flies
- Feels great using my Moto 360 again, even though it’s the first gen – Android Wear is light years ahead of Apple Watch
- Being able to scribble notes right on the screen just by pulling out the SPEN without opening any apps or waking the phone has been a godsend. I’ve owned the phone for less than 24 hours and I have used it A LOT already
- I had tacos for dinner and had food smears all over my phone but I didn’t care. Just washed it all off in the sink and my Note 7 is all squeaky clean again
- Bluetooth performance was as good as any smartphone. Paired it with my LG Tone and watched Netflix at the gym. Sound and video was great
- Android Auto worked perfectly in my 2016 Volt. I like it a lot better than CarPlay
- Built in speaker isn’t as bad as some reviews say that it is. Definitely could be better though but it is no worse than the iPhone’s
- No issues with call quality, we hear each other loud and clear
- The fast charging (wired and wireless) is really impressive. Like holy crap it’s fast. Battery life… so far not too impressed but too early to say.
- Camera is as good as everyone says it is… however some may hate the post processing and that Samsung tends to exaggerate the saturation of the photos. Here’s a super quick comparison between the Note and iPhone
Taken with Note 7
Taken with iPhone 6S Plus