How well does the MacBook Pro 16 inch perform? How does it compare to a gaming laptop? How much does an eGPU improve gaming performance? This is where we find out!
I’m borrowing a friend’s MacBook Pro 16 with 5500m 8GB and I don’t know if I am impressed or surprised at the gaming performance because I had low expectations.
I tried out Overwatch, Nier Automata, and Tomb Raider all in using the bootcampdrivers.com Adrenaline RED version, and am easily getting 45-60+ fps on High Settings on a 3440×1440 100hz display (using TAA or AA OFF). The detail on Nier and Tomb Raider unfortunately isn’t as good as it is on my GS65 with an RTX 2060 card but I believe that’s mainly because those games were optimized for the NVIDIA graphics cards and there is a bit of tearing but the games are definitely more than playable and better than what you can get from a console. Overwatch on the other hand, just flies in ultra. I understand most people play games in 1920 x 1080 resolution so I included benchmark scores on that as well.
Also the system runs really hot even with Turboboost turned off and being undervolted so the fans will be on the whole time when playing a game. Not too different from any other laptop so it would be a good idea to have this on a cooling pad because the temps get up into the 90s easily.
As for if this is worth it as a gaming laptop, definitely not. At the configuration of an i9, 32GB, 2TB and Radeon 5500 8GB, you can buy 2 Razer Blade 15s and they will be way better for gaming. But as a high end Mac that can edit complicated 4K videos with ease in Final Cut Pro, and function as a mid-tier gaming laptop, it’s something to think about.
Things to consider…
- If you want a pretty laptop for gaming, get a Razer Blade
- if you want the best PC gaming experience, build a PC or get a high end gaming laptop if you want to go mobile
- If you want a Mac to do productivity work, love sending iMessages from laptop and want to game on the side… get a MacBook Air and build yourself a kickass gaming PC… or get a MacBook Air and a Razer Blade 15 and use the leftover money for games on Steam
- If you want want a Mac to do productivity work, are one of those types that wear a tin foil hat thinking PCs will get viruses because you clicked on a link that you thought was porn, get a MacBook Air or the Base Model MacBook Pro and every console out there and it will still come out less…
- If you need laptop for Mac software that squeezes out every bit of hardware (whether you are a pro, hobbyist, or enthusiast), and like the idea of being able to play PC games all in one device… this MacBook Pro is for you.
- If you have a lot of money, want the absolute best, are a geek that wants to run PC games on a Mac just to say that you did… a spec’d out MacBook Pro 16 is definitely for you. And while you’re at it, build a kickass gaming PC, buy every console out there, gaming laptop, Tesla, camera, and all those toys that your favorite influencer has, and pat yourself on the back because you made it in life! Congratulations!